Small Business and Educator of the Year Awards
One of the most exciting and rewarding experiences for a small business in the Pittsburg Area is to be honored by peers for a job well done. In recognition of outstanding contributions to the economy and overall progress in Crawford County, BKD and the Pittsburg Area Chamber of Commerce proudly present the Small Business of the Year Award. Selection is based on evidence of successful operation of a business as well as significant contributions to the community.
- At least one owner/partner/major shareholder of the business must be a Crawford County resident and active in the day-to-day management and operation of the business.
- The business, including all locations, shall employ no more than 50 full time equivalent employees.
- The business shall have been in business a minimum of four years.
- The business shall be located within Crawford County, Kansas.
- The business must be a member in good standing of the Pittsburg Area Chamber of Commerce for two full, consecutive years prior to nomination.
- The business cannot be a past recipient of the Small Business of the Year Award.
The following also will be considered in the selection process:
- Leadership in business and community affairs.
- Significant business achievements.
- Active involvement in professional and/or trade associations.
- Response to business challenges and problems.
- Initiative in job development and equal opportunity employment.
- Involvement in Pittsburg Area Chamber of Commerce activities.
Previous Small Business of the Year Recipients
2021 – ReNu Medical & Spa
2020 – Riggs Chiropractic
2019 – Custom Awards, LLC
2018 – Sweet Designs Cakery
2017 – Pro X Realty
2016 – SilverCreek Medical Reimbursement Solutions
2015 – The Finishing Touch
2014 – Kannarr Eye Care
2013 – Eagle Beverage
2012 – Home Center Construction, Inc.
2011 – American Concrete Company
2010 – Elias Tawil, M.D., FACS
2009 – Pinamonti Orthodontics
2008 – Ron’s Supermarket
2007 – Paradise Mall Antiques
2006 – King’s Automotive Services, Inc.
2005 – Bath Naylor Funeral Home & Crematory
2004 – Kunshek Chat & Coal, Inc.
2003 – University National Bank
2002 – Marrone’s Food Service, Inc.
2001 – The Mall Deli
2000 – PradMar Mailing Lists & Services
1999 – Wendy’s of Pittsburg
1998 – Hornback’s Posey Shop
Teachers play a vital role in the lives of our children and impact our community every day. The purpose of the “Educator of the Year” award is to recognize excellence in the teaching profession and to inform our community of the exceptional quality of instruction delivered in Crawford County. In recognition of outstanding educators in our area, Pitsco Education, and the Pittsburg Area Chamber of Commerce proudly present the Educator of the Year award. Selection is based on the teacher’s ability to inspire students of all backgrounds and abilities to reach their full potential.
- Must be a certified classroom teacher who instructs students on a daily basis
- May teach any grade level from kindergarten to grade 12
- Must teach during the 2020-2021 school year in a public or private school in Crawford County
- Must not be a previous recipient of the Educator of the Year award
- Must not be related to a current Pitsco Employee.
Previous Educator of the Year Recipients
2021 – Kelli Winemiller
2020 – Cooper Neil – Pittsburg High School
2019 – Dan Moss – Pittsburg Community Middle School
2018 – Steve Mahnken – George Nettles
2017 – Tim Vesco – Frank Laden Elementary
2016 – Eric Gudde – Frontenac High School
2015 – Mandy Arck – Pittsburg
2014 – Paul Hanney – Westside Elementary
2013 – Greg Shaw – Pittsburg High School